|Maize Improvement & Seed System Specialist in Pakistan
|9 April 2013
We are seeking an innovative, results-oriented agricultural scientist in skills in maize breeding and seed systems research and development, to support accelerated deployment of high-yielding and stress-tolerant maize hybrids in Pakistan. The selected scientist will work as a member of the CIMMYT Global Maize Program, and will play a key role in Pakistan Agricultural Innovation Project (AIP), a four-year, USAID-supported Agricultural Research for Development (AR4D) program, designed to promote economic growth in Pakistan by bringing more farms and more hectares under improved technologies and management practices, and by increasing the productivity and production value of livestock, horticultural, and cereal crops.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYTģ, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org. CIMMYT will manage and take overall responsibility for AIP, and manage its Cereals and Cereal Systems projects.
The selected scientist will be based at the CIMMYT Office in Islamabad, Pakistan.
Specific responsibilities of the position will include:
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- Support and strengthen maize breeding, testing and adoption of maize hybrids with high yield potential, and resilience to important abiotic (especially drought and heat) and biotic stresses, in active collaboration with local institutions and other CIMMYT scientists and partners in the region.
- Engage in seed production research of promising maize hybrids.
- Seek, build and strengthen partnerships with public and private institutions involved in maize R4D in Pakistan and engaged in improved maize hybrid uptake, production, promotion and delivery.
- Actively contribute to the success of AIPís maize improvement and seed systems strategy with project partners to achieve production and distribution of the targeted quantity and quality of improved maize seed to the farmers in the targeted provinces in Pakistan.
- Technical backstop and strengthen the capacity of SME (small & medium enterprise) seed sector and NARES partners involved in the maize seed systems work under the framework of Pakistan AIP Project and CIMMYTís overall research agenda.
- Contribute to the Project communication strategy and visibility of the Project achievements.
- Ensure effective networking, collaboration and communication with relevant partners/institutions in South Asia.
- Identify and facilitate linkages to other relevant CIMMYT projects, as well as projects implemented by other development partners in AIP target areas to encourage exchange and utilization of technologies and outputs between projects.
- Contribute to the visibility of CIMMYTís research, partnerships and impacts. Coordinate and participate in AIP research and capacity building that accelerates rates of gain in key Pakistan wheat breeding and testing programs through modernizations that increase the quantity, quality, and timeliness of phenotypic and genotypic data, and reduce years per breeding cycle.
- PhD in Plant Sciences with specialization in plant breeding or seed science and technology. Experience with commercial maize breeding and seed production management is preferred.
- Strong aptitude for field-based research, especially for on-station and on-farm trials and demonstrations, seed production and promotion of maize varieties.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English, with excellent communication skills.
- Strong self-motivation and innovative skills, coupled with interest in international agricultural research and development.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural partnerships.
- Demonstrated good communication and organizational skills.
We will offer an initial contract for 3 years, which may be renewable subject to continued need and funding for the position and performance of the staff member. Our internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for childrenís education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV no later than Monday, 6 May, 2013 to Human Resources, CIMMYT firstname.lastname@example.org / Please indicate Position Reference number: 12291 in the header of your email). For further information on the selection process, please contact Guillermo Flores, Staffing Specialist, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.